Thursday, December 13, 2012

Smoked spicy bbq wings

This is a somewhat easy recipe for the smoker.  Basically you take your store bought wings and marinate them overnight in a Ziploc bag.  My marinade consisted of the following.

Marinade

Saracha hot sauce - 1 cup
Franks Red Hot - 1 cup
Water - 1 cup
Crushed Red Pepper - 2 Tbsp
Salt and Pepper
Cayenne Pepper - 2 Tbsp

Now its time for the smoker.  I use a barrel smoker where you can start your charcoal and wood fire on one side of the grill while you put your meat on the other. Indirectly heating them.  When you are smoking chicken you can do this at a much higher heat then when doing pork or beef.  I like to keep my smoker at about 350 degrees with lots of smoke so i continue to feed wood along with charcoal to keep it at that temp every 20 minutes or so.  It should take 1 to 2 hours depending how close to the heat you have your chicken. Also every time I open the smoker to stoke the fire I like to baste the chicken with my marinade.  You can do this because even though there is a ton of spice in the sauce only a little bit tends to soak in.  So when they are done they will not be super spicy.  
When the wings are getting close to done I like to start basting with a Store Bought BBQ sauce of my liking. Just to give them a nice Sweet outer layer to go with the spicy inner layer.  When the internal temp has hit 165 degrees they are done and its time to pull them out and serve them up with some ranch and blue cheese dressing.

CC

No comments:

Post a Comment