Thursday, April 25, 2013

How much protein do you need?


While exact daily protein requirements vary by individual and goal, you need enough to maintain and build lean muscle mass. Aim to consume about one gram of protein per pound of body weight per day, divided among 4-6 meals. A diet this rich in protein will help you feel fuller for longer while refueling your muscles post-workout.

This goes for the person that is looking to lose fat and not lose any muscle that you have already built up.  Now if you are someone who want to make BIG gains in muscle you should try to hit 1.5-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. If you are doing this make sure you split up your meals to at least 6 per day and 2-3 hours in between.  Here is an example with my current measurements.

Currently I weigh 270 pounds (6'6 & 12% body fat).  If I would like to maintain my muscle mass and lose fat I would look to eat 270 grams of protein per day.  So I would shoot for 45 grams of lean protein 6 times a day.  If you weigh 200 pounds you would want to eat 200 grams of protein a day.  33 grams 6 times a day.  

Now if you want to make BIG gains in muscle and you are happy with your body fat you would shoot for double that.  So me myself would attempt 540 grams per day with 90 grams per sitting 6 times a day.  A 200 pound person would go for 400 per day with 66 per sitting.

Don't forget your whey protein shakes as meal replacements a couple times per day to help achieve your protein goals!  

Here are some great examples of lean proteins to use.....

Chicken
Turkey
Lean Beef
Egg whites
Beans
Dairy
Protein Powder (Below is a link to a very good priced protein that I use everyday)




CC

No comments:

Post a Comment