Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Smoked bacon wrapped burgers

So I have wrapped many things in bacon before so I decided now was the time to try wrapping a hamburger and smoking it.  Why not right?  For my first attempt I used pre made patties that I bought from the local butcher but you can do this with your own homemade patties as well.  I took some 1/3 pound burgers and used 5 slice of bacon to cris cross them around the burger.  The trick is to lay the bacon down first and then lay the patty on top.  Then fold over the bacon so that the burger is completely covered with bacon.  This will help keep all the juices of the burger in the middle and will help it become super moist.
Next I threw them in my barrel smoker.  I decided to try and low and slow method for a couple hours at 225 to try and make them extra smoky.  If you are in a hurry or don't like a ton of smoke just put them directly over the coals and wood and cook it like a normal burger.  Watch for flare up though as the bacon fat will ignite the coals underneath.  
Smoking tips:

Don't forget to soak your wood in some water for twenty minutes if you are putting them directly on the coals.  Remember you can turn any charcoal grill into a smoker but just have one side with the coals and wood and the other side for your meat!

No comments:

Post a Comment