Monday, June 25, 2012

Smoked rump roast

So, since I get half of a cow in my deep freezer every year I have lots and lots of roasts piled up.  I figured "Hey why not use one of them for my smoker and turn it into a brisket style roast."  Therefore I used my dads electric smoker which scared me because I've never used it before and decided to give it a try.  The thing with the electric smoker is it smokes at a very very low heat so I only used it to give it the smoky flavor.   My first step was the night before I thawed out my Rump Roast and slathered it with a nice BBQ rub (famous daves).  Usually i make my own rub but I was doing this up at my parents place.  I let it sit in the fridge overnight with the rub encasing the entire outside of the roast.  In the morning i fired up the smoker with some mesquite wood chips and popped in the roast.  I smoked it for a good 4 hours.
After the four hours the roast was still a LONG ways from being done.  So I decided to throw it in the Crock Pot on high for about 5 hours to finish it off.  This was nice cause it made it a lot easier instead of continuing to check on the wood in the smoker I let the crock do the work.  I put a liquid in the bottom of the pot that consisted of garlic cloves, water, olive oil, and some more BBQ rub.  After the five hours I took it out and BOOM.  Brisket tasting Smoked Rump Roast.  Very easy but yet VERY YUMMY

1 comment: